9 Tips for Obtaining Command Sponsorship Before an Overseas Tour

Service member talking to a group of military wives

When you receive permanent change of station orders that take you overseas, your first thoughts may be about your family. You have to obtain command sponsorship if you want them make the journey, too. You should:

  • Request command sponsorship through your chain of command.
  • Make sure military orders say your family is authorized.
  • Review installation procedures at MilitaryINSTALLATIONS.
  • Be aware, permission is not guaranteed.

Read More »


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations