Your family members are the stars of your life story, but supporting players are important, too. Exceptional Family Member Program family support is always waiting in the wings to help military families with special needs. The goal is to give families the strength and confidence to improve their quality of life, and gain skills to make the best decisions for the person they're supporting and the family as a whole.
What is Exceptional Family Member Program family support?
Exceptional Family Member family support helps service members and their families identify and access programs and services. This includes, but isn't limited to, the following:
- Information and referral for military and community services
- Education and outreach
- Local school and early intervention services information
- Warm handoffs to the Exceptional Family Member Program at new locations
- Non-clinical case management, including individualized services plans
What is information and referral?
- Information and referral includes any of the following:
- Helping families determine which community resources are appropriate to meet their needs
- Helping families effectively access resources, services and programs
- Following up to verify that families have connected with support services
- Checking with families about the effectiveness of resources
What is non-clinical case management?
Non-clinical case management involves the following:
- Providing information and referrals to families and the people who help them make informed decisions and navigate resources
- Working together to improve families' quality of life (this doesn't involve medical treatment coordination or follow-up)
What is the family support provider's role?
The family support provider's role includes the following:
- Helping families on the path to empowerment by providing information and referral services, non-medical case management, training and other forms of support, such as opportunities for families to connect around a common need or concern
- Helping relocating families pinpoint and navigate formal programs and services and informal supports, which may have a different title in the new state or fall under a different agency
- Bridging gaps in programs, services and supports, and helping families understand what's offered, how to determine eligibility and how to apply for benefits and entitlements
How do families access family support?
Access Exceptional Family Member Program family support by visiting or calling your local installation Military and Family Support Center, or by contacting Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 and asking for a referral to a special needs consultant.