Understanding Military Spouse Preference Overseas

Military spouse working at his computer

There are certain preferences for military spouses when applying for Department of Defense civilian jobs.

With the help of the Military Spouse Preference program, you can build your career as you move with the military. Make sure you've checked the following when you're looking for a job after a PCS:

  • Eligibility — You must be an accompanied spouse of an active-duty military member with PCS orders, have been married prior to his reporting date to the new duty station, and provide a copy of your sponsor's orders that lists you as a dependent.
  • Application procedures — Contact the human resources office at your new duty station or visit Military OneSource's MilitaryINSTALLATIONS to apply for military spouse preference.
  • Vacancy availability — Military spouse preference applies to appropriated fund vacancies in all positions designated for U.S. citizens. Military spouse preference also applies to nonappropriated fund positions at grade NF-3 and below.
  • Usage requirements of military spouse preference — You may apply for positions using your military spouse preference until you either accept or decline a permanent and appropriated or nonappropriated fund position. However, you won't lose your military spouse preference if you accept or decline a temporary position.

Extend your career, even when your PCS takes you outside the contiguous United States. Visit the Department of Defense's Priority Placement Program to find out how it can help you pursue a civil service career.

Don't give up on your career. The Military Spouse Preference program can help you build your career as you move with the military, even when you go overseas.


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations