You're eager for some fun to break up your demanding schedule. Unfortunately, you just don't have room in your budget for that glamourous yacht that keeps popping up in your ad banners.
If you haven't peeked at what your installation's Morale, Welfare and Recreation department has to offer, what are you waiting for? Morale, Welfare and Recreation connects you to the fun without breaking the bank.
For entertainment and relaxation close to home, drop by your installation Morale, Welfare and Recreation facilities include the following:
- Swimming pools — Cool off and enjoy some recreational swimming, take swimming lessons or try an aquatic fitness class.
- Bowling facilities — Join a league or rent a lane for a few games. Knocking stuff down is always fun.
- Golf courses — Tee it up on some of the nicest golf courses you'll find. And if you're a beginner, book a lesson with the pro. You'll be glad you did.
- Recreation centers — Pop in for some pick-up ping-pong or big screen entertainment.
- Trails — Hike, bike or walk and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Auto skills centers — Tinker around under the hood.
- Libraries — Browse the stacks in person or online.
- Movie theaters — Catch Hollywood's latest releases. And don't forget the popcorn.
- Outdoor and recreation rental centers — Try out their gear before investing in your own.
Learn about your service's offerings by visiting the following sites:
Sometimes you need to go in search of adventure. A great place to begin is your installation Information, Tickets and Travel office. Get the scoop on sporting events, museums, theme parks, aquariums, zoos, historical sites and other attractions, both near and far. They can also hook you up with discount tickets and vacation planning services.
Information, Tickets and Travel, along with the installation outdoor recreation office, are your go-to resources for information about great opportunities like the following:
- Best Kept Secrets, a guide to camping and recreation facilities in the United States for service members and their families
- Lodging on installations, through recreational facilities and at first-class resorts and nongovernment-owned hotels
- America the Beautiful passes to get you into more than 84 million acres of national parks where you can hike, climb, ski, surf, stargaze or just relax
- Blue Star Museums that give you opportunities to soak up history, science or culture between Memorial Day and Labor Day across the country — for free
Morale, Welfare and Recreation can keep you active and having fun. Check out your installation programs and activities to see how you can have big fun on a tiny budget.