Marriage is an amazing commitment, where couples make lasting vows to love and respect each other. With deployments and frequent relocations, life in the military can put a strain on even the strongest of relationships. The military recognizes the challenges military life can put on a marriage, and is standing by to help. Each military service branch offers programs designed to enrich marriages by helping couples develop better communication skills and rekindle the romance.
These programs are usually run by chaplains and supported by commanders, Military and Family Support Centers, and installation family readiness programs. Each program is nonfaith specific and generally low-cost or free to service members and their spouses. To find out about programs available through your service branch and installation, check with your chaplain or local Military and Family Support Center.
Installation chaplains offer the Strong Bonds Program. The program features:
- Weekend retreats that help couples build relationship resiliency
- Specific retreats for couples, families, single soldiers and for those facing deployment
- Activities for unit members who are on the same duty cycle
The Marine Corps offers the Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program. This program:
- Benefits newlyweds and seasoned couples alike
- Helps couples improve their communication skills and build strong relationships
- Offers workshops through chaplains and Marine Corps Family Team Building
Chaplains Religious Enrichment Development Operations offer marriage enrichment retreats. More information is available on the Navy's ChaplainCare website. These getaways include:
- Weekend retreats that help couples focus on their relationships while enjoying food, fun and romance
- The opportunity for couples learn about handling conflict, growing their marriage, building intimacy, communication and understanding each other
The Air Force Chaplain Corps offers the MarriageCare program. Check with your installation's chaplain to see what's available in your area. The MarriageCare program offers:
- Weekend retreats to help couples to revitalize their marriage while taking a break from military duty
- A chance to work on communication, forgiveness and other skills
- Other programs offered by chaplains on Air Force installations
Marriage enhancement programs can help you improve the quality of your relationship now and later enjoy the benefits of a healthy and happy marriage.